Accounting software?

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Mon Jul 15 19:55:44 CDT 2002

"Bradley Miller" <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for accounting software?   I'm
> purchasing the web design/hosting portion of the company I work for, so
> I'll be "da man" for all billing purposes.  Are there any really good
> open-source Linux based packages . . . or would I be better off with a
> Win-based product?  Cost is a big thing right now . . .

  IF you go with a Win-based product, make sure that  all data formats are
completely documented.  I was using accounting sofware when Y2K hit that was
99.44% compliant, but the manufacturer wanted to charge for an upgrade to
get total compliance.  I said to heck with that, and wrote some
quick-n-dirty perl (v4 for DOS!) scripts that took care of the couple of
reports that I couldn't get to work correctly in the program.  I could do
this because all of the data formats were fixed-length CR/LF delimited
fields, that were very well documented, so it was easy to get at what I
needed.