Back at Square 1

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sun Jul 14 14:45:33 CDT 2002

"Seth Dimbert" <s.dimbert at fhmr.com> wrote:

> I suppose you have the question right, though I'm not using dial-up at
all;
> the machine sits on my home network, which runs through a Linksys
> Router/Switch connected to my DSL Modem. I just need to "educate" the
Linux
> Box on how to see the router and, through it, the network and Internet.

  Step 1:  edit /etc/hosts to add a line like this (substitute your router's
address):

192.0.1.1    router    #Linksys

Then set up the init script - you're running a RH-based distro, so you'll
want to edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/network to include

    route add default router

at the end.  Or create a separate script and link it into the rc#.d
directories as S11routing or somesuch.

Issue that same command from the shell prompt.