Linux w/ SBC DSL

david nicol whatever at davidnicol.com
Sun Jul 14 01:38:25 CDT 2002

Dustin Decker wrote:

> What you need is a PPPoE client... I myself have never had to use PPPoE,
> but what I hear is hat it just plain sucks ass.  You might suggest that
> your friend call SBC and upgrade their service to something that uses
> plain old vanilla DHCP or something...  might be a few dollars more, but
> will certainly eliminate some big headaches for you.
>
> Dustin

I had no trouble with it, and found roaringpenguin's auto-configuration
method, in which the script enables promiscuous capture on your network
cards and then gleans your log-in data from a SBC log-in done from a
windows
box, slightly disturbing.   But simple.  Configuring PPPoE by editing
config files is about the same difficulty as configuring normal PPP by
editing
config files. NOT point-and-click.  But configuring it by snooping on a
known-good connection was easy.