How to make another bootable linux partion / installation on the same disk

Hanasaki JiJi hanasaki at hanaden.com
Fri Jul 12 04:54:06 CDT 2002

Some time ago, I was told that the easiest way to make another
installation of linux - on a diff partion of the same disk, was to
format the partition, copy the existing (and working) linux install
partition over to the new one (cp -r / [tmpMountOfNewPart) and add an
entry in lilo.

Well...I tried that.  :(  When I rebooted, the kernel on the new partion
said unable to create a console and paniced trying to kill init.
Someone said its related to /devfs ? ???  Any thoughts or input?

What isa good way to accomplish this w/o doing all the installs on the
new partion?

Thanks.