Layoffs suck

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Jul 11 15:54:03 CDT 2002

The part that gets me is the grocery list of TLA's (three letter acronymns)
and other stuff that the HR departments want applicants to have . . .
typically all Microsoft-centric.

"How much VB experience?" -- enough to know that I can write something
cross-platform compatible without giving Bill Gates  a blo . . .
"How much ASP experience?" -- why would I want to have IIS/ASP in my shop?
PHP blows it away
"What about SQL experience?" -- this one is typically a "I'm going to
scream" because they are looking for MS SQL . . . and ignore the fact that
SQL (structured query language) is available anywhere and it's just a
matter of looking at the book to see what differences there are.  I run
MySQL because $$$ and pepole just go "oh ok . . ." and roll their eyes
thinking I must be ignorant.

Anyone else have any job rants?  I'm sure several 1000+ people will in the
next few weeks.  *Sigh*

-- Bradley Miller