a different twist on the boot disk

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Jul 11 14:25:33 CDT 2002

> Has anyone created a bootable cd using Linux tools (ie mkisofs and
cdrecord)??
> How is this accomplished?  I would like to take a windows 98 boot disk
and create a bootable cdrom from it.  I have used dd to create an image
of the 98 floppy, but I'm unclear as to what parameters I need to pass
mkisofs in order to create a bootable cd image with that 98 image.
> I know that I need to use the -b and -c flags as stated in the
cd-writing howto, but I'm a bit confused as to what the -c flag take as
a parameter?  What is the boot catalog?  What does it need to contain
and is there a specific format for it?  Any help appreciated.

I make bootable CD's using a 1.44 Meg boot-floppy image for my firewall
project.  My floppies use syslinux to boot, but the mkisofs command
should work with any 1.44 Meg bootable floppy.  The command I use is:

mkisofs -b bootdisk.bin -r -J -f -o <outputfile> -V <volume name>
<path>/CD-Contents/

Where bootdisk.bin is the bootable floppy image.

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net