iptables - NAT table

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Jul 8 14:13:56 CDT 2002

jose sanchez [mailto:j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com] wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Can someone please clear my head on the nat table's
> SNAT, DNAT, MASQUERADE. I'm kind of confused.

--snip--

> Please help me understand these chains since I am
> getting ready to start developing a firewall and I
> would like to understand what I'm doing...
>
> Thank you in advance for all your help.

Here are some links I used to help me understand iptables.

Iptables Tutorial
http://people.unix-fu.org/andreasson/iptables-tutorial/iptables-tutorial.htm

FAQ: Firewall Forensics (What am I seeing?)
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html

FAQ: Network Intrusion Detection Systems
http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/network-intrusion-detection.html

The firewall script I eventually came up with.
http://www.sound.net/~hald/projects/firewall.txt/

Hal