Block Size Program

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Fri Jul 5 21:51:34 CDT 2002

calc.exe.

There are 512 bytes to a block. You can do the math in
your head after the first coupla times, because 1K is
two blocks.

The problem comes in the way that a 12 byte file will
appear in Windows as a 1Kb file, because Windows won't
measure in less than 1K increments.

So there is some accuracy loss there. A 1 block file is
a 1K Windows file, but so is a 2 block file!

The workaround is the fact that you're usually measuring
in larger (1M+) numbers, and can afford to round up to
the next largest Kilobyte.