Apache worm released

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Mon Jul 1 20:17:19 CDT 2002

First off, did you download the right rpm for your system? What distro and
version are you running? If you download a binary package that was compiled for
a different version or distro (or both) this may be why you are having problems.
You could always rebuild using the SRPM though.

> libdb-3.2.so   is needed by apache-1.3.22-6
db3-3.2

> libexpat.so.0   is needed by apache-1.3.22-6
expat

> libmm.so.11   is needed by apache-1.3.22-6
mm

> Anyone know which package these are in?
> I've searched google trying to find out where I can get libdb-3.2.so to
> no avail....haven't looked for the others....

> Why don't package upgrades come complete with all the dependency crap
> they need???  And why does a package upgrade of apache require these
> libs that the old one I had running didn't??

These libraries are dynamically linked with apache to reduce the size of the
executable and more memory efficient by only loading the library into memory
once. Any program that then uses that code won't have to load it again. Since
it's a separate package it makes upgrading easier if a new version of the
library comes out. If they statically mapped the library into the executable,
you would have to rebuild apache whenever a new version of the library came out
that improved performance, or more importantly - fixes bugs. (Think zlib)

As for why they need these libs now? Got me, like I said. You sure you grabbed
the right rpm?

> This is absurd.

Patience young grasshopper.