gentoo linux

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 31 00:38:38 CST 2002

"Chris Midkiff" <chris at datacaptech.com> wrote:

> did not see any errors stating that it could not copy files to /usr, and I
> hunted around quite a bit and can't see any of the files that should be
> there.  Whole partition is just blank. The / part contains a blank /usr
> (mount point, really) and the /usr partition is just empty.  The distro
> appears to put lots of stuff there (and rightly so) during install, I
don't
> know what happened to it.

  How do you know that the /usr you're looking at is a =partition=?  The
partition that is =supposed= to be mounted there might be just fine, only
unmounted.

> I wiped the machine, set up _just_ the partitions that they recommend, and

  Before I did that, I would have typed

# mount

and found out what filesystems were actually mounted.  You might find that
they were either unmounted, or maybe mounted in the wrong place (like that
/mnt/gentoo/usr yoiu mentioned, which sounds conspicuously like where the
partition is mounted during the install process, as the installer has its
own /usr)