New distro

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jan 28 17:19:52 CST 2002

Ok. I'll probably get slammed on this one, but here goes.

I've tried a number of distros, but am not entirely happy with any.
I would like to build a new distro, but it would be a major
undertaking. I want to know if anyone else would be interested in
putting together a "drop-n-load" style distro that has:
a nice menu interface,
multiple level install (desktop, gamer, developer, server, office),
has capability of custom compiling sources to optimize for a pc,
uses generic rpms,
is Redhat compatible,
is standards compliant.

I would post this distro on my box (even if it means I have to upgrade
the server and pay for the potential extra bandwidth)

Mandrake builds a great interface, but they have also made major
modifications to the structure of the OS. When I tried to upgrade to
the next level of KDE, I discovered there is NO path other than
installing all of the 8.1 code. same thing with rpm. Can't upgrade
rpm without installing all of the 8.1 codebase first.
(Or at least so much that the difference is minimal. At least that is
 my experience)
And (grrrr) I had to download and compile iptables after upgrading the
kernel. Because Mandrake uses a "custom" iptables build.

Brian Densmore
Associate
mailto:densmoreb at ctbsonline.com
CompuTech Business Solutions, Inc.