IntraNet DNS

Glenn Crocker glenn at netmud.com
Fri Jan 25 17:49:29 CST 2002

Yeah, this kind of thing can work out pretty well.

For example, I have a domain with an external DNS server (remote from my
network).  References to foo.bar.com get a regular, routable IP address that
comes to my NAT Firewall, gets translated, and comes to a machine on my
local net.

On my local network, I have a DNS server that my machines use, and I have
that server configured to resolve for my “bar.com” domain.  So internally,
foo.bar.com resolves to a 192.168. address.  Works great.

The point of all this is that the name foo.bar.com has two numeric
addresses.  One for everyone on the Internet, and another for people on my
internal network.

-glenn