From Slashdot: Comcast goes after NAT users

jim jim at weathercom.com
Fri Jan 25 04:27:57 CST 2002

"A co-worker of mine resigned today. His new job at Comcast: Hunting down
'abusers' of the service. More specifically, anyone using NAT to connect more
than one computer to their cable modem to get Internet access- whether or not
you're running servers or violating any other Acceptable Use Policies.
Comcast has an entire department dedicated to eradicating NAT users from
their network. We knew this was coming since this Slashdot article from two
months ago, but did anyone think they'd already be harassing people that are
using nothing more than the bandwidth for which they are paying? It makes me
very happy that my DSL kit arrived yesterday, and I'll be cancelling my
Comcast cable modem early next week." Earthlink and Comcast have both been
advertising lately their single-household, multi-computer services (and
additional fees) -- probably amusing to many thousands of broadband-router
owners, at least until the cable companies really crack down.

Any Comcast employees want to comment on this folderol.  I only have one
computer, but it's connected to the 'net via a Linksys firewall/router
because Comcast won't do squat about security.  They going to come after me
next?  I'm checking out DSL tomorrow.