Enabling CGI?

Seth Dimbert s.dimbert at fhmr.com
Fri Jan 25 04:07:03 CST 2002

Jared,

Thanks for your reply.

You said:

> Why do you not have access to the server conf file? If you do
> not have access to the conf file, then install a server on your
> own computer, and use that server. If you're at all serious
> about what you're doing, you've got to be able to access the
> configuration to the server. Period.

I understand that I need config access. The problem is that the server sits
in a different building than the one I currently office in. I am the only
person who accesses the server (outside of http access). I am the superuser
and posess the only other login account.

What I was trying to say is that I'm unclear on how to grant access to files
owned by root to other users. I've used both the command line and gnome's
file manager to create directories as "sethd." But how do I grant "sethd"
rwx access to a file owned by the superuser?

Then you said:
> Frankly, the instructions seem perfectly clear. Here is a plainer
> English version of them:
[...]
> Uncomment this line by removing the '#'. That's it. You've
> just enabled cgi parsing in your Apache server. Save the
> file, restart Apache (see the documentation for this
> command), and your scripts should work fine.

This is why I'm confused - I've done this and the script in question still
doesn't operate. The particular question is moot... The script wasn't too
important and I've since moved past it.

I want to thank you for your words of encouragement... And politely disagree
with some of your philosophy.

I am a newbie with Linux. I plan to stay that way for a long, long time. The
OS is simply too big, too powerfull, too complex for me to give enough time
to to master. I hope you'll forgive me that and agree to disagree.

Again, thanks for your help.

-SD