Autorun and cd burning

Chris Midkiff chris at datacaptech.com
Thu Jan 24 16:09:46 CST 2002

The Autorun.inf file is just a text file.  You can create it with any text editor, or you could do
it right and use vi ;-)  You can open the autorun.inf file from any CD that uses this 'Feature' for
an example.

In order to start a program, all you really need is the following 2 lines:
[autorun]
OPEN=program.exe

If you want to get fancy, you can include:
ICON=program.exe_or_icon.ico

If you want to create an html document with links to all of the applications on the CD you should
look into a free (as in beer) tool called Winopen (available at
http://www.duckware.com/winopen.html) that handles windows asociate program opening.

Also, M$ has a listing of all of the autorun.inf commands and their parameters at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/Shell/Shell_basics
/Autoplay_cmds.asp

It's about as usefull as most other M$ documentation...

Hope this helps,

Chris Midkiff