the value of software does not reside in the source code

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Tue Jan 22 19:33:47 CST 2002

In-line comments...

DCT Jared Smith wrote:

>Marvin,
>
>In my original response to your words, I clearly and unadversarially
>identified your approach as adversarial. Then I said that your
>
>Then I offered another context within which you could consider open
>sourcing your software.

That's my misread.  I agree with some uses of open source.  I'm working
on a game that I'd like to put out on the internet.  All of my Java code
will be open when it's done.  I don't want to be taken as anti-OS.  I
didn't go to college to learn to program.  My entire education was
solely based on freeware and open source products.  I would be a
complete hypocrit (sp) to not give at least that much back.

Maybe it's just our client base, but as a small company our much bigger
clients often try to strong-arm us into deals.  I know for a fact, not
out of fear or suspicion or anything less, that if we made our products
open source, we'd get screwed.  I know of some of the clauses some
clients have tried to have appended to our licenses (bad for us).  And
being a small company, my boss doesn't have the luxury to risk X% of
potential customers taking the code and running with it.  We need every
client we get to survive especially in this market.  It's not greed.  I
don't own the company, I'll always get my salary so greed isn't an issue
for me.  When I first started, there were APIs I wanted made public and
free as in beer, but I can understand why we never have.  But, that's my
opinion and I can't change it until I see something different from the
industry.

>I was delighted to hear that Alan Cox would quit Red Hat
>if AOL bought 'em out. That's an inspiration to us wee little
>programmers out here.
>
>-Jared

I'm still pissed that they'll buy RH (maybe).  All AOL does is milk
companies for what they're worth, then run them into the ground.  Five
years ago, who would have imagined IE would be the superior browser (I
still use Netscape6 out of spite)?