the value of software does not reside in the source code

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 22 15:34:40 CST 2002

The concept of "the competition will steal my best ideas and drive me
out of business' is a crock.  It is a zero-sum outlook that does not
take basic human behavior into account.

Ideas are free.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  If you share
your ideas, people will use it - not steal it.  If your software does
want they want, people will use it - not steal it.

RedHat and Mandrake both come with games.  Most of us have played at
least some of these at one point or another.  How many of us have
actually COMPILED one - unless we had to do so to get the silly thing to
work?  How many of us have made changes to Freecell or Gnome Mines and
released it???

IU have only seen a couple of versions of mines or freecell floating
around.  I have seen a number of different versions of reverse
engineered windows apps floating around because it you NEED to change
something, you have to start from scratch and reinvent the wheel.  Once
you do that, you have no reason NOT to release your app as a whole new
package.

Another thing not taken into account is the expert principle.  If you
write some software, you are going to be much more familiar with it and
how it works than someone who comes along 18 months later, makes some
changes and releases it as their own.  It will be much easier for the
original author to incorporate the changes they like into the original
application and roll it out to their customers.  It takes LESS effort
than trying to keep proprietary software up to date.

Proprietary software companies are in some ways similar to a labor
union.  They want to be able to exert influence on how you run your
business - not for your profit, but for their own.  In the latest
license for FrontPage, you agreed not to say anything bad about Microsoft.

What if you have 20 web developers earning around $1,000,000 and
Microsoft takes exception to something - true or not - that yo published
on the net.  You lose your license to software you paid for and suddenly
your are paying almost 4 grand a day in payroll costs for people with
software skills they can not legally use.