HP-UNIX?

MBSmith at dstsystems.com MBSmith at dstsystems.com
Wed Jan 16 16:49:51 CST 2002

Although SuSE won't make x86 ISO's available for download, they do have
Sparc at http://www.linuxiso.org/suse.html - it's their latest 7.3 bundle
(2.4.x kernel).  Have fun.

Cheers
Mark Smith

Mick Ohrberg <micke at kc.rr.com>
Sent by: owner-kclug at marauder.illiana.net
01/16/2002 09:48 AM

        To:     kclug at kclug.org
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: HP-UNIX?

Mark,

I definitely second the 'niceness' of the Blade 100. I got some extra
memory for it (I'm now at 640MB), and it takes regular PC-133 ECC SDRAM.
Basically, the Blade 100 (and also the Netra X1, the Ultra 5/10) are PC's
with SPARC chips - all IDE machines. Solaris 8, KDE 2.1.1 (Gnome 1.4 has
proven far too unreliable - sawfish would die frequently and
unexpectedly). I jam MP3's all day with XMMS :) The only 'bad' thing about
the Blade 100's (which is also what makes it cheap) is the fact that it
has an UltraSparc IIe chip instead of the faster IIi (256kB on-chip cache
instead of 2MB cache). I can't wait until we can start getting the 900MHz
UltraSparc III chips... (They are available - I meant budget wise :) )

When on the subject of 64-bit OS's. I've discovered that some of the
precompiled 64-bit packages aren't working right. ftp.patriots.net
completely stopped supporting 64-bit packages.

I'd LOVE to install a newer Linux release on my Blade. What is the latest
version of Linux (any release) for SPARC? I know RedHat doesn't have one
since 6.2 I believe.

        /Mick

--
In the morning, you don't know what's going to happen;
during the day, you don't know what's happening;

        Mick Ohrberg