HP-UNIX?

Lance Feagan lfeagan at ku.edu
Tue Jan 15 20:27:24 CST 2002

I was an HP-UX Admin for two years.  Yes, HP-UX only runs on HP Hardware.
No, linux does not run on any modern HP, only the old HP Apollo workstations
runs linux because they have an M68K processor in them.  Why would you run
linux on HP anyways, that would be silly.  I have two very good reference
books on HP-UX with me that I would be more than willing to lend to you.  I
am home in Leawood, KS [read: Overland Park] and during the week am in
Lawrence, KS.

Ebay has lots of HP-UX systems up for sale.  Most DO NOT come with software.
Getting a copy of HP-UX can actually be quite difficult and expensive if you
go through HP.  You usually can't find it on ebay either.  Most workstations
don't come with the software to reinstall.  Heck, most don't have CD-ROM
drives.  Most places have one copy of the media and one external scsi drive
and install like that if and when one gets hosed.  But system failure is
extremely rare.  Most ebay systems come with HP-UX preinstalled.  You can
usually get the media on ebay for 65 dollars or so.

HP-UX is probably the most stable UNIX variant out there.  The DOD uses it
for all its most secure and important operations, like running radars,
controlling satellites, etc.  Getting HP-UX certified is an ordeal to say
the least.  I wouldn't bother with it.  Just having some knowledge is
usually enough for most employers.

--Lance