Another good reason for telnet

John Heryer jheryer at violet.jayhawks.net
Fri Jan 11 18:29:28 CST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, DCT Jared Smith wrote:
> Frankly, if you follow my logic here, you'll see: Woe be the day that Bill
> Gates (rather, his heir) dispenses the only 'certified' encryption protocol
> on the 'Net. The best way to keep that from happening is to use Telnet
> responsibly. No need to use it to login to shell, but within a stout, logged,
> firewall even that should be possible.

Client to server ssh usage is primarly *nix thing. The day Microsoft
developes a certified, encrypted, remote session it will be from one
windows machine to another. Primarily used as the trasportation of choice
for the new generation of virii. I can't forsee the guys working on
openssh supporting the new microsoft encryption scheme (if it ever were to
exist).

'Responsible' telnet usage goes hand in hand with 'responsible' packet
sniffer usage. The only thing a firewall will do for you is prevent telnet
usage and that my friend ... is a goodthang(tm)

> Good Lord, we have to trust someone, somewhere.

Yeah... right.

--
John Heryer
jheryer at jayhawks.net