why do this? (was re: DOS emulation under Windows XP)

Eric Gilliland jegilliland at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 03:52:52 CST 2002

Several of you have (rightly) asked why I would even bother doing this.  I
was only seeking info for a co-worker.  The main reason he was considering
this is that it is hard buying a new computer that does not have Win XP on
it.  It seems a shame to pay the lisence fee for Win XP only to get rid of
it and install DOS.  We are a for profit business, after all.

I am afraid that there might be a problem because the program in question is
fairly old; it's origins date back at least a decade, according to my
co-worker.  On his machine at work (a P II, I think) a model takes over 24
hours to run.  I think I may just install the program on my home machine and
see if it runs under XP.

In any case, thank you all for your comments and help.

Eric Gilliland

J. Eric Gilliland
jegilliland at hotmail.com
Meet it is I set it down, that one may smile, and smile, and be a villain.
Hamlet Act 1 Scene 5