A Weird Problem

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Tue Jan 8 23:22:58 CST 2002

This sounds like a hardware problem.

You may have a bad memory board.  Older machines eventually start
to have uncorrectable memory errors and most old machines don't
even have error correcting memory.  Or you could have some bad
blocks in the swap area on the disk.

Try reformatting your swap:

swapoff /dev/<whatever>
mkswap -c /dev/<whatever>
swapon /dev/<whatever>

(mkswap -c checks for bad blocks)

If that doesn't help try to find replacement memory.  It probaby
takes 72 pin EDO or FPM memory if it's only 100MHz.  Get error
correcting if you do replace it.  No server should be without ECC
RAM.  If the bad block count is > 1, replace the hard drive.
If neither help, take the new parts out and put them in a new
machine, which you could probably buy for $300.

This is for work, right?

HTH,

	Tony