a question about filesystems

Monty J. Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 03:28:52 CST 2002

From: "Eric Gilliland" <jegilliland at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Partition Magic to shrink the XP partition.  I also used PM to create a
> partition to use as a transfer area to move files between XP and linux.
> When I created this partion, I specified the filesystem as FAT32.
However,
> when I look at the partition in Windows Explorer, it lists the filesystem
as
> RAW. Anyone have any idea what this is? SHould I delete this partition and
> let diskdrake create a FAT32 partition for me?  I created about 15 gigs
for

  Is it a primary or logical?  I'd recommend making it logical, and putting
it =before= any Linux stuff, because Windows has trouble seeing a drive
properly that comes after (in the standard drive letter order) the ones it
understands.  I've seen
Windows 98 decide that some unspecified one of my Linux partitions (not sure
whether it's ext2 or swap) was an unformatted drive, and ask me if I wanted
to format it. But this was just in the protected-mode/gui, not DOS Mode.

  Try booting a Win98 floppy into DOS Mode, check things in FDISK, and
format tthe FAT32 partition with it and see what happens.

  You have backups for everything on the XP partition, don't you?