Multiple User question

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Jan 3 14:57:04 CST 2002

Well, you just opened a can of Linux worms. That depends on the program
and the installer. Some programs are by default only available to the
superuser. Some will install and set the default access flags of the
system, which may or may not allow general users to access it. Some
install routines intentionally limit access. Then there is the case of
some programs getting installed, but not updating the menus. And to top
it off generally even if a program installs and adds an entry to the
menu, it only happens for the user whose GUI is currently running. The
window managers keep local copies of the menus and don't necessarily
look at a central location. This behavior, I am sure, can be altered. I
have never taken the time to explore it very deeply. This is definitely
a system administration task.

Correct me if I misstated anything here, or missed anything.

Brian