Linux PDAs/Pocket PCs

Robert Kennedy erwin_k_r at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 01:16:45 CST 2002

--- Chris Mitchell <cmitchell at kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I know that Sharp is releasing their Linux/Java
> Pocket PPC 1st quarter this year (although there are
> some out there if you check eBay). Has anyone tried
> or have any comments about the Linux PDA/PPCs on the
> market?
Hi All,

The Linux based PDA is one of the targets of the
newest incarnation of the Amiga Computer. This
involves platform independent code that currently runs
under Windows and Linux. (Kernal hackers have reoprted
running Amiga DE on various Unix's and BSD's, but
there is yet no official support.)

Go to www.amiga.com for more info. Here is a quick
cut'n'paste from the Amiga website. Not that the Sharp
Zaurus is targeted.
Amiga announces first release of its AmigaDE Player

October 24, 2001- Snoqualmie, WA - Amiga announced
today that it has released AmigaDE Player 1.0 for both
Microsoft Windows® and Linux.

The Amiga Digital Environment Player is the first step
towards its vision of the Digital Habitat[tm] and is
core to the foundation of binary portability and
delivery of content to different platforms and
products.

The AmigaDE Player is built through a partnership with
the Tao-Group of Reading England and utilizes the
intent® media system as its foundation.

Using this technology, Amiga is able to provide users
the ability to access applications written for the
Amiga Digital Environment on standard desktop
computers as well as other devices; such as the Compaq
iPaq, Casio Cassiopeia, Sharp Zaurus or the Psion
NetBook in the very near future.

The first release is for the Microsoft Windows and
Linux platforms, with AmigaDE Players in development
for PocketPC, EPOC, Palm, WinCE, and other
systems to be released in the coming months.

Current applications written for the Amiga Digital
Environment were targeted for handheld devices but
will also run on desktop computers. The content
     created is binary portable.  Content currently
available and being created will run on Set Top Boxes,
Information Appliances, HandHeld Computers, Cell
 Phones and Digital Televisions.