continuing animosity

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Thu Feb 28 22:03:32 CST 2002

I don't know what the hell this is all about. Someone suggested a change to
the list, and said they couldn't think of a good reason why not to do it.
I threw one out.  The current way the list works is fine, and I make no
suggestion to change it. Yes I am the admin, but the system is not intended to be
a shell account for me to do as I like with.  It is my job to run the system,
and throwing any client software I want onto the system just isn't a good idea,
since it is a server.  I log into a web interface from home or other places,
that I normally don't carry my work to, because I prefer to leave my job at work
unless their is trouble I have to deal with.

----- Forwarded message from Dustin Decker <dustind at moon-lite.com> -----

> At 12:43 PM -0600 2/28/02, JD Runyan wrote:
>
>>I deleted a suggestion from Dustin Decker that referred to procmail.  Procmail
  Only pointing out that I was replyig to something not mentioned in the message
  I was replying to, no personal insult intended.  I deleted the message before
  having a chance to reply inadvertantly.
>>does not solve the problem.  I assume he was referring to having a single mail
>>box, and let procmail move the files to other mailboxes.  That would not work,
>>since at times I must log into a web based interface to my primary
>>mail account. ...............................................
>
>Well I guess the questions I would ask are: Are you or are you not the
>admin?  The fact that you must log into a web interface to access your
>primary account - is that self imposed by a decision you made in the
>past, or can you perhaps make your world a bit more flexible?  In a case
>like this, I would put a copy of the Mindterm ssh applet out on your web
>server.  From there, use pine, mutt, whatever...
>
>(I have it here if you care to look: https://moon-lite.com/ssh/?window)
>
>I certainly don't mean to speak low of anyone on kclug, but I wouldn't
>expect they will make changes to the list server with any great speed.
>Things beyond our control often require that we ourselves be a bit more
>flexible.

>Beyond that, I'll just keep my suggestions to myself.  I expect they#
>mean very little to someone as knowledgeable as yourself.           #
I always like to hear good ideas, even when they come from someone, who
has a personal problem with me.  That may be intended as a slam, but the
fact is I have worked in computers for quite a few years as an admin, and
as a programmer.  I think that counts for something.
--
JD Runyan
Mid-Range Systems Administrator