Take me - No Take Microsoft instead!

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 18 22:23:47 CST 2002

It's not the hostile code that will get them. It's the fact that the
code is
written around drop in code. In other words, the fact that one could
take API
A and "drop in" API B as long as the calling convention is obeyed will
be the
undoing. M$ is saying that that can't be done. I know better, I've seen
the
disassembled code for 95. In fact I once saw a "drop in" hook to grab
the Windoze
95 system queue, before Windoze. Think about that one for a minute, to
be able to
see every Windoze message from mouseclick to file erase, before the OS
itself
does. Here's a tidbit of funny irony; one of the 47 published
commentaries is
from the US Senate. They say the settlement is a bad thing, obscure,
ambiguous
and unenforceable.

I read a few of the pro and con views. The pro views are all talking
around the issue
and the cons all zero in on the same points about how the settlement is
bad and where
it is bad and (for the most part) how to fix it.

Brian

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/02/16/microsoft.code.reut/index.ht

majordomo at kclug.org

majordomo at kclug.org