Powersupply sizing for AMD chips

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 18 15:01:42 CST 2002

1)
As far as the power supply, 145W will be sufficient since you won't be
able to do much expansion on the system. I know AMD recommends a 300W
PS. Why, I haven't got a clue. That's a huge power supply, hell every
stereo I've ever owned put out less power!

2)
The chipset, I'm not too sure of. The ide chipset is via 686
(southbridge) that works. It's what I run (and a very nice non buggy
chipset it is)
the realtek LAN is supported as is the ac '97 sound. I am not sure of
the 8361 (northbridge) chipset though (for the Trident video); yet IBM
(361) makes a MB with that chipset and they say it supports and is
tested with Linux.

YMMV,
Brian