Red Carpet Problems

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Mon Feb 18 02:38:54 CST 2002

This weekend was the first chance I had to install the just released Ximian
Gnome desktop for Mandrake 8.1.  I had already pulled down Red Carpet in
hopes of getting Evolution updated, so I tried to use it for the install.
It downloaded a lot of files, then said something like "unable to complete
the installation".  There was a brief explanation that this was probably due
to a corrupt package file, but no troubleshooting info at all just "sorry,
you loose".  I re-ran it, and it either didn't fix the bad file or there's
something else wrong.

Curiously, I'm stuck on a MS update at work because of exactly the same kind
of error (and lack of information on how to proceed).

Any advice appreciated.