Macintosh Distribution

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Feb 13 15:11:43 CST 2002

> Yes, I'm aware of YDL... I just wanted to see if anyone knew
> of any other
> options before I got started.

Well there are others. Mklinux, LinuxPPC, Suse PowerPC. It depends on
your hardware.
I think YDL and Mklinux are the only true Mac ports, but I'm no Mac
expert.

> Here's a (maybe) silly question. I've got broadband access and a Mac
> sitting, ready to be converted to Yellow Dog. If I download
> the disk images
> and I don't have a disk burner, am I forcing myself to leave a Mac OS
> partition on the drive?

You will need to keep the Mac partition for the install. But
you're done you should be able to remove that and use the partition for
something else.
The hard part is getting the boot partition in under the 1024th
cylinder.
You'll also want a boot and a root floppy. I've never done an install
quite like yours.
What I'd probably do is shrink the Mac partition as small as possible
first. Create a boot and root floppy, boot Linux and create some
partitions, mount the MAC partition and copy the iso image to one of the
new partitions, then mount the iso and do the install. Then after the
install I'd clean up the partitions and possibly re-organize the system.
Whew! I don't see any simple way of doing it. You might want to check
YDL's site. They may have some suggestions.

HTH,
Brian