new distro

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 11 15:05:48 CST 2002

Ah, yes. My language skills have been slipping, (first thing to go when
you start getting old). I meant to say "may".

It just needs to be a 640x480 or 80x80 bmp. I have found conflicting
ways of doing this.
I doubt I can make it an active picture, like with smoke rising.

Man there are a ton of packages to build a distro. Guess I never really
considered how long it was going to take just to pull down all the
applications. Gnome is a real mess, 30+ source packages! KDE was about
15.

I'd like some input on what packages should be included.

I don't want a lot of bloat, just good quality software.

For example:
I am planning on using qmail as the only option for a MTA.
SQwebmail for the only webmail server.
Courier-IMAP as the IMAP server.

I also plan on giver "expert" installers the option to add/pull (or
perhaps on different CDs) down any package they want. This way, users
won't be restricted to just my decrees while at the same time new
converts will get a stable, professional quality package with out a tone
of choices to make. It was very intimidating for me the first several
times doing an install, and I'm supposed to be a computer expert!

Linuxfromscratch leaves much to be desired, but it does give a nice
clean bare not very useful Linux system.

Onto gentoo Linux now. After I finish installing and securing the new
LFS system. Anyone ever set up a CVS server?

Dazed but not confuzed,
Brian