Was AOL letter, now forking

Adam Turk ATURK at waddell.com
Wed Feb 6 13:24:41 CST 2002

Brian, building and refining on Brad's point, is most certainly correct;
however, it should also be added that a new system is dead as soon as
there are standards which are strongly enforced and adhered to. Perhaps
they have already succeeded in their effort to trim their bottomlines,
and also to begin to drive away the pioneers from yet another frontier.
But, once having a taste of freedom, openess, and the utter insanity of
a 2/1 (distros/blades-of-grass) ratio, I don't think many will wish to
return to the intellectual oppression of standards. 8^P

adam

Thus spake the master programmer:
"Let the programmers be many and the managers be few — then all
be productive"
-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"

>>> "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> 02/05/02 10:22AM >>>
You're absolutely correct. There are many partial projects going on,
there are many inconsistencies in Linux apps.

<WARNING: long rant>
But you seem to be missing something (forgive me if I'm wrong, besides I
like to argue).
you mention the LSB (Linux standard base), but don't seem to realize,
that the big names in Linux see what you are seeing and are trying to do
something about it. There is a definite advantage to allowing
free-thinking and
brainstorming. And if you look closer, you will see that sourceforge
occasionally
has projects merge and 10 people working 10% of a problem work together
to reach
100%. Yes I see clutter and disorganization, but I also see a light at
the far end
of the tunnel. How long the tunnel is, I can't see yet. It's a very dark
tunnel and
apparent distances are sometimes deceiving.
But I choose to work with the organizers and try to make some order out
of chaos.
</rant, maybe not too long>