Changing IP Addresses

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Feb 4 23:02:38 CST 2002

I didn't say that. Or at least I don't think I did. I'm all for GUI and
GUI configuration tools. But there are limits to what any computer
program can do. There are many things in M$ that are the same. There are

places where in NT/2000/XP where you MUST open a command shell to do a
certain
task. Also there are things that are only possible by manually modifying
the
registry.

>  Taken a step further, then M$ should be lauded for bringing
> the desktop
> to the average schmoe?
Sorry Apple wins that award. They did it first, and started out in an
open
source type manner. M$ stole the code from Xerox AFTER Jobs bought it.

>There's so much talk about the downfall of M$
It make a nice fairy tale, but M$ isn't falling anywhere, anytime soon.
You can take
that to the bank.

> Is it or is it not a goal for the Linux
> community to make Linux an alternative to Windoze for the average
> consumer (my !L337 mom, for example)?  I stress the *average*
> consumer.
It seems to be more focused on the server and embedded markets right
now.
The embedded market is the battleground Linux must really win. Billy is
just trying to smoke and mirror everyone with the desktop. Everyone
really
watching knows, the real clincher is the embedded market. Capture that
market
and you will eventually take the whole ball of wax. Or at least keep
anyone else
from doing so. ;')

Brian