Changing IP Addresses

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at NITCKC.USDA.Gov
Mon Feb 4 18:16:24 CST 2002

On Mon, Feb ,  at 11:46:23AM -0600, Joshua Bergland wrote:
> There are definitely atleast two camps in the Linux world, those that
> want a much better desktop and user friendly OS, and one that wants a
> higly configurable and flexible OS. I think the ability to dig into a
> text file and change your settings by editing a couple of lines is
> great, and I do that all the time. I'm not intimdated by this at all,
> and the HowTo's are a wonderful resource.
This is why Linux is great.  You don't have to have go one direction with
this.  You can have distributions that suit both camps of people.
> I just don't buy the argument that making Linux user friendly will
> hinder the OS. It boggles my mind why there is a debate over whether GUI
> tools are necessary, of course they are. I think that us technical
> people who get this stuff enjoy digging into the OS and find it not to
> be that difficult.
Tell me how you will create a user-friendly OS that still allows granular
level configuration.  When you change something manually, you may have a
different style than the configuration application.  Your style may hinder
that app from underatanding the configuration.  You can ultimately have
one or the other maximized.  Sure you can land somewhere in the middle, but
that doesn't draw more users in mass.  I support having different distributions,
and people having choice.  I am for standards, and having nice application
update systems, and including compatibility layers to deal with the differences
is a great help.  Ultimately the OS will take the shape that the people who
work in it want it to take.  The developers, the distribution maintainers, and
the user community will ultimately affect this.  And tomorrow, Red Hat will
still not be Debian, and both camps will argue theres is better.  Isn't it nice
both groups are happy, and neither had to sacrifice to make the other happy.

--
JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."