Changing IP Addresses

Prof. Jerry Place place at modeling.cstp.umkc.edu
Mon Feb 4 16:57:33 CST 2002

All:

   This has been addressed before but I think it's sufficiently
important to note once more.

   Linux is not for everyone.  Linux provide the best workstation
environment I've ever used.  It supports LaTeX and LaTeX tools for my
publications and course web documents via latex2html; Maple is my
computer algebra system; CSIM is the best simulation system I've ever
used plus I have tons of useful tools such a GNUplot, psfrag, etc.  RH
7.2 is rock solid and KDE 2.0 is a useful desktop system.  If I need a
local spreadsheet or simple word processor, I use StarOffice 6.0 and I
get by.  Plus I'm my own web server, mail server and computation server.

   However, I still dual boot at home and I have a Win2K laptop in my
office because I still have to exist in a Microsoft world -- for Quicken
and Turbo Tax at a minimum.

   I don't mind the Microsoft presence but its utility cannot compare to
my Linux system even though Linux is complex and requires significant
arcane administration.

					-- Jerry Place
					-- CSTP