Changing IP Addresses

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at NITCKC.USDA.Gov
Mon Feb 4 15:41:16 CST 2002

On Sat, Feb ,  at 07:41:57PM -0800, Rusty wrote:
> I'm using RedHat 7.2 and have a couple of oddities happening.
> The only way I seem to be able to get an IP address change to
> stick is by doing a reboot. I KNOW this shouldn't be happening,
> but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried setting
> it from the command line with ifconfig, with linuxconf (gui and
> command line), netconf and netconfig. Each time, the old address
> still shows up with the ifconfig utility. When I reboot,
> everything is as it should be. When I've used the ifconfig CLI
> utility, I do a network restart (/etc/init.d/network restart)
> and that takes eth0 down and back up...with the OLD address.
To make the permenant change to the address edit the files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  Ther shoud be a file called ifcfg-eth0.
That will make the change permenanetnt.  To change the ip address on the
fly use "ifconfig eth0 <newip> netmask <maskno>"
> The next issue is also about IP addresses, and follows this one
> up. I had access to a small lab for awhile, and installed
> several 7.2 machines from a CD image made with Norton Ghost. All
> the boxes came up with the same IP address (as you would expect)
> BUT they were all live on the network and could browse the
> internet - with the same IP address! Now, that isn't supposed to
> be possible is it?
Sounds like a mess.  There are a few scenarios that this could
happen in.  More than likely all of the machines are receiving
all of the traffic, and then dumping what they did not request.
If they are on a switched network, it certainly should not work,
but in the case they are on a lan segment supported by a dumb
hub then it would work, but is bad practice, and you have a lot
of residual noise from this setup.
> The last issue is with inittab - my box is set to default init
> level 5, but comes up as in level 3 - just a CLI login. I can
> startx after logging in, but, why is it not booting to the GUI
> (please, no "flames" about GUI vs. CLI...I use both  :o) )
I would make a guess with no more information, that you do not have
gdm, kdm or xdm installed.  One of these is required to login at
run level 5.  Check /usr/X11/bin for these files.  If they are there
we will need more information to help on this one.

--
JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."