debian installation (dselect and dpkg) woes

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Tue Apr 30 12:26:47 CDT 2002

After watching the FTP install, I see that binary-all is needed and a
link between stable and potato is needed.  I've always downloaded the
packages and installed from HD for reliability reasons, but Debian's
directory structure is a little more complicated.  Installation programs
tend to get slowed down by connection problems that dedicated FTP
clients already address...which is what keeps happening with my current
install.  The Debian install won't restart after a dropped connection,
but it at least gives you the option to continue your download.