Qt Versions

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 23 15:46:23 CDT 2002

Hope sprouts eternal!

> are compiling multiple versions of a library, you don't want the
> installer to go and symlink itself to old names all by itself. That
Ah, but that assumes you are using a RPM that "knows" you are or might
be using
multiple versions of a library. Lot's of RPMs "assume they are the only
version of a library and install the symlinks, overwriting existing
ones.

> could defeat your goal.  It is assumed that if you are building from
> source, that you know something about how to manage the
> details of your
> system.
There's that nasty word again. "Assume" is probably the most dangerous
word
in history.

The problem with assumptions is they are so frequently wrong or
incomplete.

No, real [useful] installers need to verify what is in existence first,
then if in any doubt prompt the external knowledge base (aka person
installing said software) before doing anything destructive. So far I
haven't seen any one build such a beast. The Wise installer for M$ was
the closest I have yet seen, when properly configured.

Portage as real potential, too.
It just fails if it finds unexpected configurations [this is a good
thing actually].

Brian