ADV:Harvest lots of Target Email address quickly

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Mon Apr 22 14:49:46 CDT 2002

Piping in from the corner few will appreciate, but which
should be represented for complete context:

1. Having voluntarily left lists where the moderator boots users, or
deletes posts which are critical of his personal style, I propose we
keep the list exactly as it is. I prefer spam to tyranny. A decision we
make now will have effects years into the future, as we propose to
deal with other social issues impinging on KCLUG in a lucid,
long-term manner.

2. Deleting spam from the inbox should not be managed by the
majordomo software but at the personal preference of each user. We
all should have the ability to install spam and virus blockers on our own
machines. The argument for doing so is not to make it inconvenient
for each person, but to maintain the spirit of decentralized decision-
making I perceive is part of the Linux community. I know that Linus
himself still personally patches the kernel, but he does so in a
manner which keeps the community wide open: anyone can submit
a patch to him, even little ole me.

Otherwise we all become lazy, dependent on the list owner
(or "the OS development team," or "the president of the U.S.,"
you get the idea) to manage all our social problems. In other words,
we spiral into dissolution because no one takes responsibility for
anything. I'm from Independence, where "the buck stops here.").
I for one don't want to turn over anything to anyone unless forced,
or my incompetence is well-established. Linux is a nascent revolution.
Why abort it, by conceding to the hue and cry for "comfort and ease"
before it bears fruit (which it will in about ten years). Let us
remain decentralized, to the degree possible.

3. This is a postscript. I personally like the idea of stripping out
all HTML and binary from messages, but won't propose mandating
it, because I can deal with it on my end, btgog.

-Jared

ID.
> (B.1) Allow posts to/from other addresses listed under a primary address,
> similarly verified.)
> C) Strip individual email addresses from the on-line archives.  You may
> reply to an archived message by addressing the list, but not the
individual.
>  (C.1, optional) Mangle archived addresses instead of stripping.
Substitute