gentoo update

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Apr 17 17:01:53 CDT 2002

Well, I must have really Fscked something up! When I got done installing
last night,
I couldn't boot, grub didn't save to the mbr. So I used the cd to boot
the new root.
No /etc/mtab file, mounted read only, and there was no init program!
Well, I fixed all that by forcing a remount on the root partition,
touched /etc/mtab
remounted root again [to get the mtab entry].
I then mounted and extracted the install tars again, and sure enough the
init program was right where it should have been. So I moved it over,
rebooted. Voila, life is good.
I now have a new install.
Quickly configured X, [my first mistake this morning]
launched KDE and BAM! the splash screen crashes.
[Thanks for the heads up on that. That would've really pissed me off if
I wasn't half expecting it]
Everything seems to be working fine now. Except that the quick set up on
xf86cfg sets a screen resolution of 1600x1200!
What the @#!? is up with that!?

So I guess the moral here is don't try to do the gentoo install with
your own modifications. ;'(

Now I get to spend the next couple of days tweaking and reconfiguring my
new install. :'(

Oh, by the way, this system BURNS now! Man KDE comes up so fast, it
would've made me spin if it wasn't for the splash screen crashing.

Brian

 "Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
one from the dark lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
one OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
one OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."    john thrum