RedHat 7.0 as a router with IP Masquerading

John Lindinger jilindi at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 05:02:48 CDT 2002

Okay, I have the Red Hat Linux 7 Bible by Christopher Negus.  Starting on page 574 I
follow his directions.

Everything is fine until I enter the command on page 577...

 ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 172.16.1.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ

(note that I've substituted my own private IP address & netmask)

which causes an error telling me to try ipchains -h.

Also, when I put the commands into the /ect/inet.d/network file as described in the book,
and then I reboot...

 ipv4_forward_set

...yields a COMMAND NOT FOUND message and the same ipchains command that didn't work at
the command prompt (described above) acts the same (tells me try ipchains -h) during the
boot process.

I have read the man page and I've concluded that my kernal may not be compiled with
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE defined.

Anybody know how to confirm my suspicion?

I think I did a workstation install rather than "Custom", but because it was over a year
ago, my memory fails me on such details. The "Server" install does not install X so I
know I did not do the Server install option.

John Lindinger

PS - the RoadRunner Internet gets installed next week.  I'm trying to avoid buying their
black box router.  I'm trying to get the RedHat 7 box router with masquerading running on
ppp0 now assuming that changing from ppp0 to eth1 should be a piece of cake.