LILO Be Gone!

atechsol.net crash3m at atechsol.net
Tue Apr 16 17:58:54 CDT 2002

>I installed RH on a dual-boot system that we no longer need.

>I'd like to change something (I don't know what) so that the machine default boots to windows.
Anyone know how I can do this?

crack open /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite text editor, if you have 'default=linux' change it to
'default=windows' if you don't want anyone to know you have linux installed you can remove the
timeout/delay entry.  Don't forget to run lilo when your done

>Step Two

>Someday, I'll probably want to remove Linux from the machine entirely. If I boot to DOS with a
boot floppy and format the >disk, will that destroy the Linux partitions, too? So, if I install
Windows I will get all of the disk back?

>-SD

If your going to remoe linux entirely you will have to remove and create atleast one partition I'm
sure.  MS-DOS's fdisk will work, but if you have linux installed you might as well use cfdisk or
something of the like.  You could alternativly use a program like partition magic to delete the
linux partition and magically resize it to fill the entire drive.  To remove lilo I do 'fdisk /MBR'
using a dos bootdisk

Matt