AOTC and GeekPAC

DCT Jared Smith jared at dctkc.com
Mon Apr 15 14:21:40 CDT 2002

> > I would like to discuss the idea of this LUG joining in on
> > this new movement.  Please read and provide comments to the list.
> > http://www.thelinuxshow.com/otc.htm

I agree with the previous post; KCLUG is a user group, not
a political action  subsidiary. Let people make their own
individual decisions on this sort of matter.

 That being said, here is my own personal decision.

 The spirit of the message is delightful; well-thought and
compelling. However, the authors have currently left out
the single most important THIRD of the project. They
are creating a Consortium and a political action group;
they need the third arm, or they will simply create another
waste of resources, adding to the problem they're trying
to solve, instead of resolving it.

The third arm is entirely voluntary. It must operate completely
independent of money. All they're doing is asking me for
money. If they were laying a solid foundation in volunteer
work on these issues, they would have some integrity to
work with. It's easy to ask for money. It's easy to spend
money. The real virtue is in hard work. I'm sorry, but a
dream team of programmers is less compelling to me than
a single hard-wrought project on sourceforge.

I wish them well, but cannot help them as long as they leave
out all mention of their source of virtue. I wrote them as
much, too. No response yet.

Does anyone know if these fellers are interested in adding
some substance to their very valid rallying cry?

-Jared