hardware question

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Apr 11 23:43:30 CDT 2002

I'm into experimenting as much as the next guy, but I think building a
mobile MP3 solution now out of bits/peices from the bargain basement is
like wanting to build a Honda from the local O'Reilly autoparts store.  You
can buy some really super nice head units that have MP3 capability on CD
for a lot less money than a kludged system for your car.  My friend is
already on his 2nd generation MP3 player (JVC) and I don't think you'll be
able to touch what a decent head unit will do.  There's a fine line between
tinkering and usefulness and the time to build MP3 units for the car was
about 1-2 years ago . . . now it's just not worth the time and effort.  I
suspect someone soon will even offer a head unit that stores MP3's.
Capabilities like that will make CD changers as obsolete as
vinyl/8-tracks/cassettes.  ;-)

-- Bradley Miller