hardware question

Becker, Rob Becker at celeritas.com
Thu Apr 11 21:25:34 CDT 2002

I am looking to build a laptop based ogg vorbis player for my car.  Anyone have any experience with
ogg vorbis decoders?  I'm trying to get a feel for what the minimum hardware requirements will be
for such a project.  I've heard that it is possible although not recommended to decode mp3's with a
pentium 75.  I have also heard that ogg vorbis may require a little less horsepower to decode.  Can
anyone verify either of these points?  Does anyone have older laptops that might be appropriate for
such a project available for sale?  Although a display would be nice for the initial build, I
assume that it would be completely unnecessary for the day to day functioning of the player, so I'm
not sure I even need a fully functioning laptop.  Any ideas, hints, tips, trick, pointers, links
and or comments greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Rob