Further adventures in Firewall upgrades

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Mon Apr 8 18:02:40 CDT 2002

Here's an idea:

Configure your firewall - all your rules setup,etc...

Now, remove the K**ipchains and K**network scripts from all your rc*
folders, and halt the machine.  The machine will be halted - 0 process
space, 0 user space, and NO processes are running except the kernel, the
network, and your firewall, filtering packets like a good firewall should.
The only way anything else can run, is if by some magick someone is able to
insert code directly into the kernel space.

Try it, it's cool, it's 99.9999999% secure.  Only downside - you have to
reboot it to update the firewall rules.  But if you have it setup the way
you want it, that's a non-issue.

-Lucas