Apachetoolbox rant (and other rants)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 8 13:51:55 CDT 2002

It appears that the opensource movement has attracted former/current M$
style coders.
I am beginning to see very bug-ridden code appearing as "production"
quality.

First, let me rant. I got Apache to compile, little thanks to the latest
Apachetoolbox (ATB) release. I had to manually hack the stupid installer
in several places. Still can't get the
java module to compile in [grrr]. The apachetoolbox works ok if you
don't include anything, i.e.
straight apache. There are several errors in the current release:
including/searching for
older/wrong copies of modules, patching code and if you rerun it tries
to patch again, trying to
install code for the wrong version of apache. Broken modules in ATB:
ssl, jakarta, python, and postgres so far. I had to hack the installer
to get ssl to compile. I have given up on java, python, postgres and
Frontpage (I am afraid to try that one, it has files called hack AND
patch!).
So what I got was, apache+php4+ssl+mysql. This cost me about 90hrs.

Other rants.
I am also seeing on the list lots of other similar stories. This is not
a good sign.

Well, that didn't help. Who ever said to let it out it'll help was an
idiot!

!@#$?,
Brian

 "Three OS's from corporate-kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley-lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
one from the dark lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
one OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
one OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."    john thrum