Adding Java2 pluggin to Netscape 6.2

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Apr 8 13:35:40 CDT 2002

Go here and get the official plug-in in either rpm or tar and follow the
install instructions.
You cannot install java from Netscrape. You will also probably need to
be root to install.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/download.html

Or get the blackdown version (recommended):
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/JDK-1.3.1/
i386/FCS/

The blackdown version is a tar file bzipped file (big long name like
jre2-1.3.1-FCS-Linux-blah.tar.bz2). You will need to have bzip2
installed You untar (tar -xvjf jre...) it into a directory, open up a
console (terminal) and [run the install program, I think. It's been a
while]. Anyway once you have it untarred, read the readme and install
files if they exist, they will give you the proper instructions. It's a
bit of a pain, but it should work quite well. I have been running it for
a while now.

Brian