Pop3

Jeremy Fowler JFowler at westrope.com
Thu Apr 4 15:54:48 CST 2002

POP3 is used mainly to download all your email to a local mailbox for
reading. Usually it downloads all your email and then removes everything
from your mailbox on the server.

IMAP is used to store all your email on the server and then you connect
with an IMAP client to the server to read your email. Messages in your
mailbox don't get deleted until you delete them from your client.
Everything is stored on the server and there usually isn't a local
mailbox.

However, both have overlapping features and can sometimes be configured
to mimic each other. Reading your mail with POP3 without downloading
(POP3 checks), and storing a local copy of your IMAP mailbox for caching
purposes (offline viewing).

-Jeremy

Jeremy Fowler
801 W. 47th St, Suite 500