file systems

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Apr 2 18:02:35 CST 2002

Use them. I use reiserfs, because it is older and more stable. I will
eventually switch to ext3, when it becomes stable enough for a server.
They are excellent and are offer great filesystem protection. My only
caveat. I run the /boot partition as a read-only ext2 filesystem. This
way I can boot without building reiserfs or ext3 into the kernel. If you
have your /boot filesystem buried in the / partition then you will need
to have reiserfs or ext3 built into the kernel [not entirely true, but
long answer is out of scope]. I have had my system crash a few times
with the reiserfs going [always because of power outage] and have never
lost so much a character of data. Last time it crashed was during the
ice-storm, I had several on-off sequences and it took the whole thing in
stride. When I got power back it came up, replayed the log and  went on
it's merry way. Every Linux user should be using a journaling file
system.

$0.01 + $0.01,
Brian